The ubiquitous Mavic Open Pro has served the wheel world faithfully over the years/decades as the benchmark for quality construction and performance. While its name has changed over the years, the Mavic Open Pro’s role and ability to perform over tens of thousands of miles remains constant. Indeed, you could do very little to find a much worse wheel option as compared to a wheel set built with these legendary rims.
So why is a comparison between a wheel set built with Mavic Open Pros and virtually any other rim almost like comparing apples to oranges? Due to the fact that almost always Open Pros are found built in to 32 hole front and rear wheel sets. That, and due to the fact that if an Open Pro had a single stainless eyelet instead of full double stainless eyelets (a rare bird these days), the rim would weigh a solid 15-18g less, and would be in DT Swiss RR415 territory, while still offering a stronger alloy material composition. Overall the Mavic Open Pro rim is very light weight (approx. 435g), features precision machined side walls for excellent stopping power, as well as full double stainless steel eyeleted spoke holes for better spoke support and longevity.
We are building Mavic Open Pro rims up in the below configurations:
1) Silver Open Pro rims, 32 holes, silver Shimano 105 5800 series hubs (8/9/10/11 spd), with silver DT Swiss stainless spokes and brass nipples. Approximate weights are: Front – 845g, Rear – 1045g, Wheel Set weight = 1890g
2) Silver Open Pro rims, 32 holes, silver DT Swiss Onyx sealed bearing road hubs (8/9/10 spd), with silver DT Competition double butted stainless spokes and brass nipples. Approximate weights are: Front – 805g, Rear – 990g, Wheel Set weight = 1790g
3) Black Open Pro rims, 28 holes, black BWW Pure RT sealed bearing road hubs (8/9/10 spd), with black DT Competition double butted stainless spokes and silver alloy nipples. Approximate weights are: Front – 690g, Rear – 915g, Wheel Set weight = 1605g
4) Black Open Pro rims, 36 holes, black Shimano 105 5700 series hubs (8/9/10 spd), with black DT Swiss stainless spokes and brass nipples. Approximate weights are: Front – 877g, Rear – 1077g, Wheel Set weight = 1954g
5) CD (Couhe Dura) Open Pro rims, 32 holes, black Shimano 105 5800 series hubs (8/9/10/11 spd), with black DT Swiss stainless spokes and brass nipples. Approximate weights are: Front – 855g, Rear – 1055g, Wheel Set weight = 1910g
Upgrading to Mavic Open Pro / Ultegras is about investing in yourself and your sport, this combination of components is the absolute quintessential balance between performance (measured in years) and quality, that anyone could possibly ask for. While we recognize the Open Pro’s indelible impression upon the road cycling community, we will not be replacing these rims as we use them up. Road is transitioning to disc, and we have plenty of non-disc road rims that we’re still excited to work with. That being said, if you find a set of these at your door, we hope you'll love them as much as we do.
Brief: Road Commuter/Training wheel set 700C
Rims: Mavic Open Pro® 700c, 19.2mm tall, 19.5mm wide, 14.5mm inner width, welded, double stainless eyelets, silver 32 hole, black 28 or 36 hole, Couche Dure 32 hole, CNC sidewall, presta valve
Hubs Front: Dependent upon selection
Hubs Rear: Dependent upon selection
Nipples: Dependent upon selection
Valve Type: Presta
Tire Sizes: 700 x 20mm - 700 x 28mm
*Includes QR levers respective to the hub selection, and Velox 16mm cloth rim tape